Sexual Health and Disability Education
SHADE offers individual and small group classes on friendships, dating, and sexuality to individuals with developmental disabilities.
Relationships are hard. We all need help sometimes.
SHADE exists to support the relationships and sexual goals of individuals with disabilities. Individuals can determine their own goals based on the following topics:
- Unhealthy/healthy relationships
- Public vs private
- Staring, staying in, and ending relationships
- Sexuality and sexual health
- Conflicts in relationships
- Sexual abuse prevention
- Birth Control
- Sexually transmitted infections
- Sexual decision-making
Residents of St. Louis City
- With a diagnosis of MR, cerebral palsy, autism, learning disability, or epilepsy
- Any age
Residents of St. Louis County
- With a diagnosis of MR, cerebral palsy, autism, or epilepsy
- Ages 9+
Classes can be from 1-10 sessions, generally an hour long (can be modified to meet the learning needs of participants).
Classes can held for individuals or small groups (up to 8 people) in the following locations:
- YWCA Metro Office on Saint Louis University’s campus in mid-town St. Louis
- YWCA Women’s Resource Center, 140 N. Brentwood Blvd. Clayton, Missouri
- Schools, disability agencies, other social agencies
Residents of St. Louis City ONLY
- Classes may be held in the home of the participant.
Trainings and workshops are available for family members of individuals with disabilities, staff, and teacher who support individuals with disabilities, staff at domestic and sexual violence organizations and first responders such as law enforcement and medical professionals.
Training/Workshop topics can include:
- Sexual violence
- Supporting people with disabilities who have experienced sexual violence
- Trauma-informed practice
- Preventing sexual abuse against people with disabilities
- Handling disclosures: What to do after you report
- Support sexual choices of individuals with disabilities
- Dating and Disability
- How to talk to your children about sexuality
If you have a training need that is not listed, please contact us for a tailor-made presentation