What is Permanent Supportive Housing?
When the YWCA began, its primary objective was to provide safe housing for rural women who came to St. Louis for the 1904 World’s Fair. Now, nearly 120 years later, women in need can still find refuge in our Permanent Supportive Housing (PSH). PSH serves single women ages 18 and older. It offers indefinite leasing or rental assistance paired with supportive services for qualifying individuals.
Services include, but are not limited to:
- on-site case management
- financial coaching
- employment coaching
- life skills
Each unit includes a bathroom with toilet, sink and shower, and community laundry room, kitchen and dining room are easily accessible in the building (click here to view pictures of a unit). Our holistic approach also encompasses a network of social services agencies that can offer additional resources. YWCA Permanent Supportive Housing is actively involved in the St. Louis City and County Continuums of Care, which coordinate services for the homeless, funnel government funding, and monitor compliance.
We are also able to provide a very limited number of women with low-income housing at the Phyllis Wheatley Apartments.
How do I apply?
If you believe you are in need of transitional or low-income housing and might meet the criteria listed on this site, please see below.
Who is eligible?
To qualify for YWCA permanent supportive housing, applicants must be:
- Unaccompanied women ages 18 and older with a documented diagnosed disability;
- Chronically homeless according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s definition
- Referrals are received through the City of St. Louis Continuum of Care (CoC) Coordinated Entry System
If you are at risk of becoming homeless, or currently homeless:
- Contact the Housing Helpline at 314.802.5444
- Or contact the following locations:
- Biddle House Opportunities Center 1212 North 13th Street, St. Louis, MO 6am-10pm Monday-Sunday
- St. Patrick Center 800 N. Tucker Blvd., St. Louis, MO 8am-4:30pm Monday-Friday
- HMIS PRIVACY SECURITY NOTICE 072017